Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Policy
The following interlibrary loan (ILL) policies applies to all users of Library. The Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States, prepared by the Interlibrary Loan Committee of the Reference and User Services Association, is used as a guide in establishing these policies. According to this Code, the definition of interlibrary loan is the process by which a library requests material from - or supplies material to - another library. These policies do not apply to intra-library loaning among different College campuses.
- Current College students and employees are welcome to make ILL requests through our library. We ask that community users utilize their local public library.
- Based on national guidelines, we ask that patrons limit their requests to 5 per week.
- The main strategies for obtaining material are:
- Direct requests to institutions are not allowed.
- Each lending library or institution sets its own circulation policies. There is no guarantee that a library will loan a material. If the owning library agrees to loan the requested material, the loan periods and renewals varies depending on the owning institution. All borrowed material is subject to recall by the lending library. Typically the following items are not loaned: textbooks, newer fiction or popular non-fiction, and newer or expensive audio-visual items.
- Long overdue items will result in the patron’s academic and library records being barred.
- There is usually no cost to the patron for an ILL, but there will be a fee for lost or damaged material. The borrowing patron is responsible for any fees for lost or damaged items. A hold may be placed on the patron's Library and/or College record until materials are returned and/or costs, fines, or fees are satisfied.
- Some libraries will charge a small fee for material. The CVTC Library will not seek to acquire items with an attached fee, except for College employee requests approved by the Manager of Library Services.
- For copy requests, the requesting library must comply with U.S. copyright law.
- ILL requests can be made through the WorldCat, the Online Request Form from the Library web site, or through the Library Catalog.
- Patron borrowing requests are confidential.
- Circulating books and journal articles are available for ILL from the Library. We typically do not loan reference or reserve material.
- Our lending period for materials is 45 days (includes travel time). Depending on availability, items may be renewed up to twice.
- The CVTC Library will charge for lost or damaged ILL materials.
- Requests can be made to the CVTC Library through OCLC Resource Sharing, WISCAT, or e-mail to email@example.com.